Hello everyone, the OU tiering council has decided to test Ursaluna-Bloodmoon!
Ursaring saw countless moons pass it by while it watched the cool Pokemon play from afar; it had yet to even draw its first blood as a true OU Pokemon as it peaked in UUBL during GSC and RSE. With the ninth generation of Pokemon brewing, the Ursaring line was set for its string of irrelevancy to draw itself even longer until a team of distant game designers had a thought. This thought evidently was drawn out itself as it took quite a few months, but with Pokemon HOME's release, Ursaring evolved into Ursaluna. However, their next thought made the 23 year wait for relevancy seem like forever as within a few months Ursaluna-Bloodmoon also came out with the release of DLC!
Ursaluna-Bloodmoon is one of the strongest and bulkiest Pokemon in OU; you could say the same about base Ursaluna, but for the fact that its speed, lack of true durability, typing held it back. Ursaluna-Bloodmoon has a similar speed stat, but it sports impeccable survivability and a much more fitting composition to the metagame surrounding it. Continuing the comparison between the two, many believed Ursaluna was broken initially, but as time elapsed it was determined to be held back greatly by reliance on team support and lack of durability. Meanwhile Ursaluna-Bloodmoon started out slowly as many feared it would suffer a similar fate, but proceeded to thrive as people began experimenting with its set Mix, utilizing Calm Mind, Moonlight, and Vacuum Wave rather than focusing solely on its instant breaking potential.
What makes Ursaluna-Bloodmoon suspect worthy goes far beyond its innate breaking potential, but let's start with that. Blood Moon is a signature move that gives Ursaluna-Bloodmoon a 140 BP STAB option that, coupled with Mind's Eye negating immunities and 135 base Special Attack, is one of the most spammable and strong moves ever. Spamming the move lone is not enough though as Ursaluna-Bloodmoon is quite slow and does not have the most Special Defense. However, it has adopted a common set with substantial bulk investment, Calm Mind, Moonlight, and a defensively oriented Terastallization type that has made it very challenging to stop. Calm Mind + Moonlight Ursaluna-Bloodmoon frequently requires pressure across numerous teamslots to take down, constantly taking down multiple kills along the way. Vacuum Wave gives it a a priority option that also hits Steel types like Kingambit while Earth Power offers it a secondry STAB move that can hit Rock and Steel types that resist Blood Moon. Outright offensive approaches like Silk Scarf and Choice Specs set are also plenty viable, but not necessarily what makes it worthy of a suspect.
With all of these pros in mind, there are some noteworthy cons about Ursaluna-Bloodmoon. For example, it has pitiful base 52 Speed and poor base 65 Special Defense, which is only salvaged by its superb 115 HP. Normal-Ground typing leaves it weak to the frequently used offensive typings of Fighting, Water, Ice, and Grass as well. In addition, certain Hyper Offensive teams are capable of limiting its entry and sometimes making its performance be reliant on using Terastallization to avoid super effective moves. While anyone can note Ursaluna-Bloodmoon's high ceiling, this can lead to it having a slightly lower floor than some may deem desireable. This is largely a testament to the glaring downside of its signature move Blood Moon, which is the fact that you cannot use it repeatedly; it is forced to use Moonlight, Calm Mind, or another attacking move on the turn after every Blood Moon, which can be abused by strategies like Encore or can be only minor in the event that Moonlight will be necessary regardless depnding upon the game's state.
In term of counterplay, there is admiteddly a lack of reliable defensive counterplay. Certain sets lacking Earth Power can allow for specific defensive presences to check it, but it is hard to always assume this. In addition, lacking Vacuum Wave can make revenge killing it after some chip more feasible for some options like Kingambit with Low Kick. Specific Steel types and the most durable Specially Defensive walls with a way to disrupt Moonlight + Calm Mind variants exist, but are few and far between, and they are the lone counterplay due to how Blood Moon and Mind's Eye work together. With this in mind, offensive counterplay does exist as, especially with Aurora Veil is not present, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon can be killable. Some offensive Pokemon make it reliant on Terastallization after minimal chip such as Zamazenta, offensive Great Tusk, Ogerpon-Wellspring, and Walking Wake, which can threaten it for substantial damage regardless if it has yet to set up a Calm Mind. Other Pokemon such as most strong Special Attackers Dragapult, Gholdengo, Manaphy, and others are capable of threatening it regardless of its typing, but encounter trouble if Calm Mind is used prior to their entry.
Overall, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon has become one of the staples of our metagane and many people have seen it go from containable to unreasonable within the last stretch of our shortlived post-DLC metagame. However, it has only been two weeks and a formal suspect is important to give people more time to discuss it, especially after receiving survey scores lower than we deem acceptable to be voted on as a potential quickban. Given this and everything above, we will continue to look at Ursaluna-Bloodmoo throughout this abbreviated suspect and come to a conclusion on it at the end of next week!
- Reading this is mandatory for participating in the suspect test!!! The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 80 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 80 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 84. Also, needing more than 50 games to reach 80 GXE will suffice.
- You must signup with a newly registered account on Pokemon Showdown! that begins with the appropriate prefix for the suspect test. For this suspect test, the prefix will be OUCK. For example, I might signup with the ladder account OUCK Finch.
- Laddering with an account that impersonates, mocks, or insults another Smogon user or breaks Pokemon Showdown! rules may be disqualified from voting and infracted. Moderator discretion will be applied here. If there is any doubt or hesitance when making the alt, just pick another name. There are infinite possibilities and we have had trouble for this repeatedly. If you wish to participate in the suspect, you should be able to exhibit decent enough judgement here. We will not be lenient.
- We will be using the regular OU ladder for this suspect test. We will not be creating a new Suspect Ladder. At the beginning of every battle, there will be an announcement denoting the ongoing suspect with a link to this thread.
- The suspect being tested, Ursaluna-Bloodmoon, will be allowed on the ladder.
- Any form of voting manipulation will result in swift and severe punishment. You are more than welcome to state your argument to as many people as you so please, but do not use any kind of underhanded tactics to get a result you desire. Bribery, blackmail, or any other type of tactic used to sway votes will be handled and sanctioned.
- Do not attempt to cheat the ladder. We will know if you did not actually achieve voting requisites, so don't do it. Harsh sanctions will be applied.
- Unlike previous tests, we will be posting the voting identification thread immediately after this thread. Your voting requisites will be confirmed by a Council member or OU moderator, to which we will edit in confirmation. Please avoid getting more games before getting confirmed.
- The suspect test will be lasting until October 6th at 11:59 pm (GMT-4), and then we will put up the voting thread in the Blind Voting subforum.
- THIS IS A SLIGHTLY SHORTER TEST THAN NORMAL (2 DAYS SHORTER THAN CHIEN-PAO IN FEBRUARY AND 3-5 DAYS SHORTER THAN NORMAL) AS WE ATTEMPT TO BALANCE THE METAGAME AFTER THE RELEASE OF DLC. PLEASE NOTE THIS WHEN PLANNING TO GET VOTING REQUIREMENTS!!!
- No unhelpful one liners nor uninformed posts;
- No discussion on other potential suspects;
- No discussion on the suspect process -- this includes testing Ursaluna-Bloodmoon vs other potential suspects;
- You are required to make respectful posts;
- You are required to read this thread before posting.
- Failure to follow these simple guidelines will result in your post being deleted and infracted without any prior warning.
- Please also take a moment to read over some suggestions from the OU Council and the OU Moderation team for posting in this thread; adhering these will help out our time moderating the thread and present your arguments better and more educated.
- Do not argue because it's your favorite Pokemon. This should be common sense, but please don't do this, because we will delete posts like this.
- You do not need a boatload of experience to have an informed opinion, but please try to minimize the theorymon aspect and use your experiences watching and playing. Playing some on the ladder before posting is plenty if you're concerned about this.
- Do not flame, belittle, or be disrespectful to users in this thread. While not everyone will read this post in its entirety nor will everyone have an informed opinion, please be sure not to be disrespectful. If there's an issue, bring it up to a moderator.
- Do not use the argument of broken checking broken. Should your argument rest on your opinion that banning the Pokemon or mechanic being tested in this suspect test will make a Pokemon or mechanic broken, overpowered, and/or uncompetitive; don't. If something needs to be banned because of the result this suspect, then so be it.
- This thread is not to voice complaints about the suspect process or decisions of the council. While we are more than open to hearing complaints that may arise, this isn't the place for it. I suggest you message the OU Council, PM our Tier Leaders, Finchinator and Ruft, or make a post in Senior Staff requests, should you have a badge.
Keep in mind that our suspect tests are decided by the community; anyone who rightfully achieves voting requisites is allowed to vote. The outcome is up to you.